20th Horse, Indian
|20th Horse, Indian|
|Specific type:||Cavalry regiment|
|Sources for overview:|
|Sources for created:|
|Name1:||20th Deccan Horse|
|Reason for change:|
|Sources for name1:|
|Sources for alternate names:|
|Sources for disbanded:|
|For more information on what infobox fields mean, see documentation at military unit, command structure and theatre of war.|
|Parent unit:||9th Indian Cavalry Brigade|
|Parent unit:||General Headquarters Troops, Egyptian Expeditionary Force, UK|
|Parent unit:||14th Cavalry Brigade, Indian|
|Theatre of war|
|Theatre name:||France, Belgium and Germany|
|Theatre of war|
|Theatre name:||Egypt, Palestine and Syria|
Richard Berryman was a medical officer in the Indian Medical Service. He worked in various hospitals and was medical officer attached to 20th Horse, Indian. He wrote 128 letters to his brother, Ted:
- original letters: Imperial War Museum Documents.17257
- the letters are being blogged on their 100th anniversary at the Family Letters blog.
- The Berryman family's letters have previously been printed as: Nesham, Félicité, ed. (1987). Socks, cigarettes and shipwrecks: a family's war letters 1914-1918. Gloucester: Sutton. ISBN 978-0-86299-227-9.
L J Ounsworth
Oxford Great War Archive has a sound recording of an interview with L J Ounsworth. He served with 2nd Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery and witnessed the mounted charge of the 20th Deccan Horse at the battle of Bazentin Ridge, 14 July 1916.
D R Smith
- Leeds University Library, Liddle Collection, LIDDLE/WW1/GS/1494: papers of Lieutenant D R Smith. Catalogue description says he served with 20th Deccan Horse and Edmonton Regiment, Canadian Expeditionary Force (does this mean 49th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF)?).
- Imperial War Museum, catalogue numbers Q821, Q822, Q823, Q824, Q825: photos of the regiment in the Carnoy valley before its mounted charge in the Battle of Bazentin Ridge, 14 July 1916. (Another copy of Q824 at the National Army Museum.)
- Imperial War Museum, 2011-09-02: collection of photos relating to Lieutenant Luther Barford's service as in interpreter with the Indian Cavalry Corps on the Western Front during 1914-15. Includes '20th Deccan Horse watering horses in the River Authie'.
- Imperial War Museum, INS 6112: regimental shoulder badge.
- Imperial War Museum, Bond of Sacrifice collection, photos of officers who died while serving with this unit:
Unit war diaries
- The National Archives of the UK (TNA): WO 95/1187/3 (01/08/1914–31/12/1916)
- The National Archives of the UK (TNA): WO 95/1165/4 (01/01/1917–28/02/1918)
- The National Archives of the UK (TNA): WO 95/4405 (01/03/1918–30/06/1918)
- The National Archives of the UK (TNA): WO 95/4519 (01/07/1918–30/09/1919)
- The National Archives of the UK (TNA): WO 95/4518 (01/10/1919–31/03/1920)
Other official documents
- Kenyon, David (2011). Horsemen in No Man's Land: British Cavalry and Trench Warfare 1914-1918. Barnsley: Pen & Sword. ISBN 978-1848843646. Covers the regiment's mounted charge at the battle of Bazentin Ridge, 14 July 1916.